Thursday, October 2, 2014

To Amend or Mend

So in government class we are studying the Constitution.  I always add in my own special part involving the 27 amendments in the Constitution.  I was reading an article from Pew research center and it got me to thinking about how many amendments are proposed by representatives but never go anywhere.  So with a little research on the Pew website I actually found this article which deals with the exact topic I was thinking about.  Since 2003 there have been 463 amendments proposed to the Constitution.  If you read the above article you will see the chart below that I have added.  Amendments dealing with flag desecration, same-sex marriage, campaign finance, and so forth are a few of the amendments proposed.  In the past I have read about amendments being proposed that would set a national debt ceiling, balance the budget, gun control, equal rights and other various amendments. 

What I would like to know is what amendment do you feel there is a dire need for.  Why is there an immediate need for it?  How or what would the amendment look like (how would it be written).  I want you to think about this long and hard using some upper level thinking skills and tell me in a blog what amendment you would propose to Congress and the president.  You will comment on 3 classmates proposed amendments also (follow the 3 sentence minimum requirement as discussed).

As an alternative-we recently reviewed the 2nd amendment.  I would also accept an amended version to an amendment already found in the Constitution. 

By the way, the last amendment ratified and added to the Constitution dealt with Congressional pay.  It was added as the 27th amendment on May 7th, 1992.  It took over 202 years to be ratified.  Quite amazing that it didn't fall through the cracks if you know what I mean.  Maybe because it addresses Congressional salaries and adjustments for cost of living is why it stuck around.  Go figure.

No comments:

Post a Comment